header
menu
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional
content header Victoria Central
Victoria Central signal box with its Westinghouse Brake & Signal Co. Ltd. Style 'L' Power Lever Frame was commissioned on the 4th June 1939, as the resignalling project to modernised the the main {central} lines out of Victoria to Brighton. There was also an Victoria Eastern signalbox for the Kent lines. The Victoria {Central} signalbox remained in use for 41 years until its operation was take over by a new NX Panel on 16th March 1980. The signalbox was finally closed on the 17th May 1980, when control of the last NX panel passed to the Victoria signalling centre located at Clapham Junction.
Victoria Central exterior
The signalbox is seen here with an apparent all round clear view of the surrounding tracks despite the use of illuminated diagrams and magazine type train describers. It was located on the left hand side of the approach to Victoria Station adjacent to the Central Lines. Here unit 5775 departs for London Bridge on the 11th August 1970. Picture copyright © J Scrace, reproduced by kind permission of Middleton Press, from their Victoria to East Croydon book in the Southern Mainlines series published in 1987 ISBN 0906520401
Victoria Central 1939
The the new all electric system of miniature levers is seen here shortly after opening in the southern Railway publicity picture. The picture is reproduced by kind permission of Middleton Press, from their Victoria to East Croydon book in the Southern Mainlines series published in 1987 ISBN 0906520401
Victoria Central interior genral view 1
The Westinghouse Brake & Signal Co. Ltd lever frame, with its indicators behind the levers, the 4 glass roundels showed the signal aspect, being Red, Yellow, Green & 2nd Yellow reading from bottom to top. The top indicator behind the signal lever is the "F" light and this became lit when the lever was normal, all points in the route correctly detected and all relevant track circuits clear. You could pull the lever at any time provided that the locking was correct but the signal would not clear unless the "F" light was lit before the lever was pulled. The train describers sending boxes are fitted on top of the frame box. Picture above by kind permission of © Graham Floyd
Victorai Central interior general view 2
Picture above by kind permission of © Graham Floyd
Victorial Central track diagram
Closeup of one of the track diagrams for Victoria Central signalbox, the platforms can be seen on the right hand side.
Diagrams
Attached is Southern Railway signal instruction 23 notice and signal instruction 23 track diagram1 and signal instruction 23 track diagram2 this can be downloaded in PDF format, this covers the opening of Battersea Park  signal boxes. These diagram(s) are taken from the website of the Signalling Record Society Research Note37. These images are copyright of the Signalling Record Society, and reproduced by permission.
Please be aware that these files are large and can take a while to download depending on your internet providers line speed. typically file sizes between 300-500K each get_adobe_reader.gif (1953 bytes)
You will need a PDF viewer to read PDF file, if you don't have it its free to download
Later alterations
NX Panel 1 added 13th May 1979, to control Victoria Eastern area, when Victoria Eastern box was closed. The Panel was abolished on 17th May 1980 when control of this area transferred to the Victoria signalling centre located at Clapham Junction. NX2 and NX3 the central sections were abolished 9.5.80, but not the box, as NX1 (for E side) worked another week until 17.5.80.)
Victorai Central Eastern section NX panel This is the temporary panel that was installed in the Victoria (Central Section) 'box in 1979 to control the South Eastern lines prior to the transfer of all of Victoria's functions to the new 'box at Clapham.
NX Panel 2 added 3rd February 1980 replacing part of the 'L' frame controlling the 'The Though Lines', Carriage Roads and sidings to platforms 12 to 19.
NX Panel 3 was added on the 16th March 1980 replaced the remainder of the 'L' frame, this covered 'The Local Lines' and platforms 9 to 11.
NX Panel 2 & 3 and the signalbox were abolished on 9th May 1980, when control passed to the Victoria signalling centre located at Clapham Junction.
Adjacent boxes
Central section main lines
Battersea Park Junction, 1670yds away, was the adjacent box. Battersea Park Junction was closed on 07/10/1979 when the area became controlled from a panel in Victoria Central box and Clapham Junction "B" (2m 509yds away) became the adjacent box. Clapham Junction "B" box was closed on 28/11/1980 when Victoria SC took over the Central lines at Clapham Junction.

Central section Stewarts Lane lines
Stewarts Lane, 1m 274yds away, was the adjacent box. Stewarts Lane box was closed on 17/05/1980 when Victoria SC took over the signalling at Stewarts Lane.

Eastern section
At Victoria station there was a connecting line between the Down Local Line (Central section) and the Up Metropolitan Line (Eastern section) controlled by Victoria Central 175 lever and Victoria Eastern 147 lever, it was a signalled connection but how the two signal boxes communicated I do not know.

Boxes Replaced
The Victoria power signalling scheme displaced 6 mechanical signalboxes and this was typical of the power installation of the times.
Mechanical Signalbox displaced Lever arrangements Power signalbox

The following boxes were closed on the same day Victoria Central box opened,

Battersea Pier "A"

11 (numbered 1-11) + 29 power slides (numbered 12-40).  
Victoria North Box

23 lever frame (numbered 1-23) and 83 power slides (numbered 24-106).

 
Victoria South Box

108 lever frame (numbered 1-108 ) and 161 power slides (numbered 109-269)

 
Also closed on the same day Victoria Central box opened were the following non block posts.
Ground Frame 'B-C' located at London Victoria station

(numbered 1-2) and 6 power slides (numbered 3-8).

 
Ground Frame 'D' located at London Victoria station 2 lever frame (numbered 1-2) and 6 power slides (numbered 3-8)  

Victoria Shunting Box

11 lever frame (numbered 1-11) and 11 power slides (numbered 12-22).

 
Victoria {central}

-

201 working out of 225 levers

Total

157 levers +
256 slide levers
201 working out of 225 Levers
The serial number of this frame was L84 and was ordered in December 1937.
Parts of the left hand end of Victoria central lever frame were incorporated into the Needham signalbox on the privately operated Stevington and Turvey Light Railway in Bedfordshire, please note that this line is NOT open to the public.
Copyright © Mark Adlington 2005-2013
Last modified: