This box was built in 1907 and opened named Clapham Junction West (Windsor) on 27th May 1911 and was fitted with a 40 slide British Pneumatic Railway Signal Company frame. It was built to the London & South Western Railway's Type 4 design.
The box was re-named Clapham Junction West in ? and was further re-named Clapham Junction "E" in October 1924. It was further re-named Clapham Junction "C" by British Railways on 8th February 1959. The frame which was originally fully pneumatic but was converted to full electric operation at the same time as Clapham Junction 'A' gained its Westinghouse 'L' Power frame in 1936. The box was closed on 2 November 1980 and the box was used as an office (and possibly as a relay room). A Network Rail newsletter said that a signal box at was demolished at Christmas 2004 as part of a track renewals scheme.
Front view of Clapham Junction 'C' signalbox taken on 20/01/1989 Picture by kind permission of © David Ingham>
Rear view of Clapham Junction 'C' signalbox taken on 06/03/1989 Picture by kind permission of © David Ingham
Clapham Junction 'C' interior starting at lever 1 nearest the camera, the operating lever slides can clearly be seen with their red and black handles, Red being for signals and Black for the points. The signal aspect and point indications are repeated above the lever slides. The indications were all fitted in a similar style to the Clapham Junction 'A' signalbox. It is interesting to note that Clapham Junction 'C' slotted all of Clapham Junction 'A's Down Windsor signals and it's Up Outer Home signals. Picture by kind permission of © Graham Floyd
Another view of the interior this time from the opposite end nearest lever 40. The 8 train describers receiver units are clearly visible each side of the track diagram which is located centrally above the lever frame. Below the track diagram the emergency block bell plungers are clearly visible Picture by kind permission of © Graham Floyd
lapham Junction C interior the three Windsor line island platforms are visible on the diagram as orange blocks in the centre of the track diagram Picture by kind permission of © Graham Floyd
Another view for good measure, most of the 4 aspect running signals are at each end of the lever frame, with the points and signal indicators grouped in the centre of the lever frame. Picture by kind permission of © Graham Floyd
Closeup of the lever handles Picture by kind permission of © Graham Floyd
Closeup of the track diagram, as can be seen, several modifications had been taken by this time, as defined by the paper patches on the track drawing. Clapham Junction 'A' and onwards to Waterloo is on the left hand end of the picture, whilst the left hand end of the picture leads towards Barnes, Feltham, Staines and eventually Windsor Picture by kind permission of © Graham Floyd
DiagramsAttached is Southern Railway signal instruction 10 notice of 1940 and signal instruction 10 track diagram of 1940 this can be downloaded in PDF format, this covers the abolition of Wandsworth Town signal box which shows most of the track layout and some of the signalling at Clapham Junction "E" and Point Pleasant Junction. Although dated 26 May 1940 it actually took place on 16 June 1940. These diagram(s) are taken from the website of the Signalling Record Society Research Note37. These images are copyright of the Signalling Record Society, and reproduced by permission.
London Waterloo to Reading - North Line (Windsor Lines)
When opened the adjacent box 325yds to the north was Clapham Junction East signal box
(which became Clapham Junction "A"),
London Waterloo to Reading - South line (Windsor Lines)
Adjacent boxes at 1177yds to the south was Wandsworth Town signal box. Wandsworth Town signal box was closed on 16th June 1940 (postponed from 26 May 1940) when colour light signalling was installed between Clapham Junction "E" and Point Pleasant Junction. At this date Point Pleasant Junction signal box, 1m 217yds away became the adjacent box.