White City signal box

White City signal box was built by London Transport and the frame was installed in 1939-40 but the re-signalling scheme postponed for duration of the Second World War. It was built to the London Transport Type design and opened in 1948 fitted with a 47 lever Westinghouse 'N' (frame number 205).

A push button panel was installed in 1973 followed by a second push button panel in 1974. The 1973 push button panel was installed replaced by panel the box was re-named White City Temporary Control Centre on 22/03/1993. The 1974 push button panel was replaced by a panel on 16/05/1993. And the frame was replaced by panel on 02/12/1996.

The lever frame is now installed at Hampton Court Junction signalbox, this is operated by Malden District Society of Model Engeers Ltd. at the the Thames Ditton Miniature Railway in Surrey south of London.

White City

The exterior of White City signal cabin, the picture attached is a taken on 5rd November 1996.

White city LHS of frame

Picture above by kind permission of John Cottrell

White City Rifgt side of frame

Picture above by kind permission of John Cottrell

Relief signalman Hunt, White City signal cabin, operating the eastbound transmitter. An illuminated track diagram is situated on the wall, whilst a miniature lever frame can be seen in the foreground. White City signal cabin was located at Hammersmith & Fulham, London W12. Picture by Dr Heinz Zinram, Mar 1955 Copyright © TFL & LT Museum

White City

The frame is a Westinghouse Style 'N2M' Power Frame and was mechanically interlocked between levers with electrical lever locking, The frame was formed of 2 x 12 way section which making a total of 47 levers, {4x12}-1 = 47 levers, as the last “lever” space is unavailable. 4 levers levers worked the point, and 14 levers worked the signals with 2 King Levers being provided. Picture copyright © TFL & LT Museum, spare spaces (no levers) in 42,43, 45.

White City

On dial: Platform sign drum. Next train from platform 3. Train from platform 4
On dial: Loughton. Grange Hill via Woodford. Woodford...Goods. Special. Liverpool St
On lever: 6 WB Warning
On lever: 7 WB Calling on (WB plat)
On lever: 8 WB Calling on (middle plat)
On lever: 9 Crossover
On lever: 10 Crossover
On lever: 11 Crossover
On lever: 12 Crossover
On lever: 13 King lever for automatic working WB 1235
On lever: 14 EB Calling on (middle plat)
On lever: 15 EB Calling on (EB plat)
On lever: 16 EB Warning
On lever: 17 EB Starter (middle plat)
On lever: 18 EB Starter (EB plat)
On lever: 19 EB Inner home (middle plat)
On lever: 20 EB inner home (middle plat)
On lever: 21 EB Outer home
On lever: 22 EB Junction home
On lever: 23 King lever for automatic working EB 18 20 21 22
On lever: 24 WB Starter (middle plat) 12
On lever: 25 Shunt depot to WB road 30

The indications for signals are red only, this goes out when the signal clears. If the signal has more than one route there will be a separate lever for each route and a separate red indication for each lever but all will go out when the signal clears. In most cases a more complete signal indication is presented on the diagram including any junction indicators.

Points show the normal and reverse indications and if the extrusion plate for the point has a red label then the points are fitted with point heaters.

There are no block bells in any LUL box the previous exceptions were Harrow on the Hill and Amersham because they worked absolute block to a BR box (Neasden South in the case of Harrow and Great Missenden, Wendover or Aylesbury in the case of Amersham) but these ceased to have block working with the coming of Marylebone IECC.

The train describer receivers were part of the diagram (rather than mounted on the shelf) usually mounted in wings on each end but some times in the main diagram as in the case of the White City photo on the site.