South Croydon signal box

South Croydon signal box with its Westinghouse Brake & Signal Co. Ltd. Style 'L' Power Lever Frame was opened by British Railways on 8th May 1955. It was built to the British Railways Southern Region Type 15 design and was fitted with a 31 lever Westinghouse 'L' frame

Southern Region Resignalling of the London to Brighton Line which occurred between 1950 to 1955 which aimed to abolish all the semaphore signalling from the south end of the London Bridge scheme and also from just outside of Victoria which met at Windmill Bridge Junction (latterly known as Gloucester Road Junction) north of Croydon, and continued to Coulsdon. The objective was to removing the Sykes Lock and Block working and replacing it with track circuiting and colour light signalling. The whole scheme cost £2 million pounds and involved 11 new signalboxes having a combined total of 841 levers, replacing 32 manual signalboxes with a total of 1,515 full sized levers.

Phase four the final phase of this scheme commissioned East Croydon signalbox on the 8th May 1955 at the same time as South Croydon and Purley. South Croydon continued in use for 28 years until its operation was take over the Three Bridges Signalling scheme on 1st April 1984.

The signal box was closed on 1st April 1984 when it's area of responsibility was taken over by Three Bridges Signalling Centre. After closure the box was used as an office. South Croydon signalbox lever frame has been preserved by the Great Cockrow Railway located at Chertsey Surrey The new signalbox is called Everglades Junction - South Croydon signal box was finally demolished on Sunday 13th January 2008

South Croydon

The 'Odeon' style box is seen here with an apparent all round clear view of the surrounding tracks despite the use of illuminated diagrams and magazine type train describers. It was located at the Oxted line junction just south of the station.

BR(SR) South Croydon signal box - c.02/1980.

BR(SR) South Croydon signal box - c.02/1980. The track nearest the camera is the Down main or Fast line, the branch to / from Selsdon Junction is immediatlly behind the signal box. Picture reproduced by kind permission of © John Turner 53A Models of Hull The actual date the image was made is unknown; the indication given is based on the film processing date imprinted on the original slide.

South Croydon signal box exterior taken in 2008 just before demolition

South Croydon signal box exterior taken in 2008 just before demolition, it was finally demolished on Sunday 13th January 2008 Picture reproduced by kind permission of Paul Robinson, © Paul Robinson

SR Signalling Project Track diagram

The frame is a Westinghouse Style 'L' Power Frame which is all electrically locked. The frame was formed of 2 x 12 way and 1 x 8 way section which making a total of 31 levers, {2x12}+8}-1 = 31 levers, as the last “lever” space is unavailable. 7 of these levers worked the points, 18 signal levers operated the coloured light signals, and 6 spare levers when the frame was supplied and installed. This made the working lever total of 25.

South Croydon

Pictured above is the interior of South Croydon signal box with Ken Bradley on duty, this picture was taken on the 28th November 1977. The track diagram and 31 lever frame can be clearly seen, the receiving train describers are each side of the track diagram. The train describer sending units are at each end of the lever frame, and the telephone concentrator is nearest the camera. Adjoining station and signal box East Croydon is at the far end of the diagram, adjoining signalbox Purley nearest the camera on the diagram, Selsdon station and signal box branches off towards the top of the diagram. The 3 position block instrument to Selsdon signal box is built into the lever frame immediately in front of Ken above the signal indicators. Emergency bell plungers were are provided next to adjacent signal boxes, again mounted on the block shelf. Telephone concentrators are provided at each end of the frame at 45 degrees. Picture above by kind permission of Ken Bradley

South Croydon

South Croydon frame. This was taken during the period when South Croydon worked with the temp panel at Purley. Emergency Alarm equipment bolted onto the R/H end of the frame. Picture above by kind permission of G Williamson.

BR(SR) South Croydon signal box - c.02/1980.

BR(SR) South Croydon signal box - c.02/1980. Picture reproduced by kind permission of © John Turner 53A Models of Hull The actual date the image was made is unknown; the indication given is based on the film processing date imprinted on the original slide.

The Westinghouse Brake & Signal Co. Ltd lever frame, with its indicators behind the levers, the 4 glass roundels showed the signal aspect, being Red, Yellow, Green & 2nd Yellow reading from bottom to top. The train describers sending boxes are fitted on top of the frame box whilst the receiving train describer units are housed between the signalling diagrams. The top indicator behind the signal lever is the "F" light and this became lit when the lever was normal, all points in the route correctly detected and all relevant track circuits clear. You could pull the lever at any time provided that the locking was correct but the signal would not clear unless the "F" light was lit before the lever was pulled.

South Croydon

Closeup of the track diagram, note the stick on track circuit indications! Picture above by kind permission of G Williamson.

South Croydon Purley, & Maidstone East miniature lever frames still needed block instruments for working with adjacent semaphore signal boxes. To achieve this new miniature Sykes instruments were installed into the 'console' panelling. The tablets and treadles of these instruments did not drop with the 'Thud' of their normal counterparts, and were therefore refereed to as the 'Silent Sykes' block instruments. in the case of South Croydon's Silent Sykes block instrument, the circuitry and operation were modified to operate in conjunction with the Hapers Block Instrument installed at the other end of the section at Selsdon Signalbox. The only picture of that I of the can find of Skyes Silent block Instrument is of Maidstone East Skyes Silent block Instrument to Bearsted pictured above.

Reversible Line
From the 1st June 1958, the down relief line. between Windmill Bridge junction at Gloucester Road and South Croydon was signalled as 'Reversible' line, any down train could travel over the line as before. However Up direction Oxted line trains only could now run in the UP direction. This was done to reduce the number of Up direction train movements onto the up main line, which in effect cut the two main line tracks for the duration of the movement. East Croydon had overall control of the Reversible line and its signals, East Croydon releasing the signals at both Gloucester Road Junction and South Croydon. Trains could also enter or leave the Reversible line at East Croydon if so desired.

Diagrams

Attached is British Railways signal instruction No1 of 1955 notice and signal instruction No1 of 1955 track diagram, this can be downloaded in PDF format, this covers the opening of Norwood Junction, and Gloucester Road signal boxes. These diagram(s) are taken from the website of the Signalling Record Society Research Note37. These images are copyright of the Signalling Record Society, and reproduced by permission

Adjacent boxes

Brighton Line to London Victoria & London Bridge (Main & Local Lines ) Northbound

To the North, East Croydon signal box (1207yds away on the Through lines, and 1236yds away on the Local lines) was the adjacent box

Brighton Line to London Victoria & London Bridge (Main & Local Lines ) Southbound

To the South, Purley signal box (2m 91yds away) was the adjacent box until 01/04/1984 when Purley was closed and Three Bridges Signalling Centre became the adjacent box.

Oxtead Branch Line.

Selsdon signal box (0m 421yds away) was the adjacent box.