Hampton Court Junction signal box

mdsme rolling logo

Hampton Court Junction signal box is owned by the Malden and District Society of Model Engineers at its miniature railway which is known locally as the 'Thames Ditton Miniature Railway. The railway is open each year on Easter Sunday and Monday, then the first Sunday of the month and every Bank Holiday Sunday and Monday until the first Sunday in October. The site is open from 13:00. Trains run from 14:00 to 17:30. They have three signal boxes worth checking out at their web site. They are Angel Road, Willowbank and Hampton Court Junction.

Contains a 96 lever Westinghouse miniature power frame and its its origins date back to 1929 at North Kent East signal box.

Levers 1-12 come from North Acton, 13-48 come from White City, both located in West London on London Underground, 49-85 levers come from North Kent East a British Railways signal box, near London Bridge.

The last 12 levers 85-96 are made up from bits from Gloucester Road Junction near East Croydon along with bits from Crewe and Euston signal box's.

Only two box's of this type remain on Network Rail, a few smaller examples remain in use on London underground lines.

We believe this to be the largest recreated lever frame of its type in preservation.

Hampton Court Junction signal box interior 2014. The signal box houses a 96 lever Westinghouse miniature power lever frame.
pictures are all taken during 2014.

Hampton Court Junction signal box allows us to see the whole railway on the track diagram above the 96 levers, and we control the layout in conjunction with out other two signal boxes..

Hampton Court Junction signal box track diagram

Signal box diagram - Double click on diagram above get a detailed zoom able diagram in a new window.

The signal box is was commissioned on Sunday 6th April 2014. There are still a few additions to be progress this year to make the signaling communication with adjacent signal boxes easier to manage. A vote of thanks to Graham Floyd who was our Professional independent signal system tester .

This HCJ signalling project has taken just under 6 years to complete (excluding the building) and is a major piece of work in its own right, and relies totally on volunteer labour.

Historical

North Kent East signal box around 1930 North Kent East signal box was installed in 1929. This pictures shows the frame in the early years. The track diagram is clearly seen behind the lever frame. Behind the miniature levers are the point and signal indications and above them are the Walkers rotary train describers for each route. The sending units are on top of the frame the receiving units are located each side of the track diagram. At this time the signals lenses from the bottom up, were originally Y, R, YY, G. Picture from the Railway Engineer, reproduced by kind permission of Middleton Press

White cityWhite Citylever frame is pictured on the left courtesy of John Cottrell, this show the signal box in its last years of use, this was a 48 lever frame, we now have 36 levers, the other 12 levers were retained by London Transport for their use either at a museum or training school

The track diagram is clearly seen above the lever frame.

North Kent East signal box around 1960, with its Westinghouse Brake and Signal Co. Ltd miniature power lever frameNorth Kent East A more detailed view of the lever frame taken in later years, maybe around the 1960's of North Kent East when the more modern electric light style train describers have replaced the majority of the walkers rotary train describers above the levers. The illuminated 'N' and 'R' indicate the points as either being Normal or Reverse, the 4 glass roundels showed the signal aspect, being Red, Yellow, Green & 2nd Yellow. The train describers are fitted on top of the frame box, with the Sykes Block instrument and its bell plungers followed by the Walkers Rotary Train describer to Bricklayers Arms Junction.

Copyright © Mark Adlington 2005-2017
Last modified: