Euston Station signal box

Euston Above: The signalbox is depicted above in a night time shot around 1952 The frame is a Westinghouse Style 'L' Power Frame which is all electrically locked. The frame was formed of 19 x 12 way section 227 levers, {19x12}-1 = 227 levers, as the last “lever” space is unavailable. The frame was built is 1952 for British Rail LMR from the parts originally destined for Preston North. This lever frame saw less than 13 years service here, it being superseded when the station was modernised in the 1960's

Euston signal box internior taken in 1950's, with its Westinghouse Brake and Signal Co. Ltd miniature power lever frame, notice the train describers

The impressive Westinghouse Brake & Signal Co. Ltd lever frame is depicted above. Behind the signalling levers one can see the glass roundels showed the signal aspect, being Red = Signal on and White = signal off. and for Distant signals Yellow = Distant Signal On / Off = Distant Signal Off. The flat indicators showed an 'N' and 'R' indication for points to show the points as having been detected in their Normal or Reverse position. The "F" light became lit when the points were free to move, with a White = Points Out of Correspondence. The odd grouped extrusions above groups of signal indications were route indications which lit on the frame when a route was set to confirm to the signalman that the correct route was set before he cleared the signal because the same signal lever cleared the signal for all routes. The two large track diagrams can clearly be seen.

Euston signal box internior taken in 1950's, with its Westinghouse Brake and Signal Co. Ltd miniature power lever frame, closeup of the track diagrams.

The frame was manned with three signalmen on duty at on a three shift system

Euston signal box internior taken in 1950's, with its Westinghouse Brake and Signal Co. Ltd miniature power lever frame, closeup of the track diagram and up slow line train describer. The first train describers were temporary and two years latter new pattern magazine describers including automatic clear out were installed. Pictured in 1954 is the new pattern describers showing the describer for the Up Slow Line, which were located at the far left hand end under levers 40 to 50.

On the diagram the track circuit light are 'on' depicting up to three trains in the 'Backing out roads 1, 3 & 4.
There were three track circuits on the Backing out roads at this time (later reduced to two with the coming of the PSB) but as 4 Backing out roads could just about hold 12 coaches + loco and 1 Backing out roads could hold about 8 + loco I would suggest that there is only one train on each of the three Backing out roads shown occupied.

The south end TC on each Backing out roads (locally known as a bank) was for the Lime Street Controls and was usually two locos long only. So if you look at the south end of 2 Backing out roads you will see a single track lit and this would be a loco.

My thanks to Graham Floyd for the Backing out roads detail information

Diagrams

Attached is a Trackplan for Euston Station this can be downloaded in PDF format. This diagram is taken from the BR Layout Plans of the 1950s Volume 1: ex-LNWR main line, Euston to Crewe.. This image is copyright of the Signalling Record Society, and reproduced by permission.
Also attached is a Signalling Trackplan for Euston signal box this can be downloaded in PDF format. This supplied courtesy of Graham Floyd and reproduced by permission.

Adjacent boxes

Engine Line No.1,2, Backing Out Road No1,2,3,4
Euston Carriage Sidings (449yds) was the adjacent box on the Engine Line No.1, Engine Line No.2, Backing Out Road No.1, Backing Out Road No.2, Backing Out Road No.3, and Backing Out Road No.4.

Up Fast, Down Fast, Up Slow, Down Slow, and Down Empty Carriage lines.
Camden No.1 (1233yds) was the adjacent box on the Up Fast, Down Fast, Up Slow, Down Slow, and Down Empty Carriage lines.

Boxes Replaced

Euston replaced three signal boxes. Euston No.1 an 1892-built London & North Western Railway Non Standard design box. Euston No.2, a London & North Western Railway Type 4 design opened on 27/04/1891 which was fitted with two 72 lever London & North Western Railway 'Tappet' frames placed back to back installed in 03/1906. And Euston No.3, a 1905-built London & North Western Railway signal box fitted with a 52 lever London & North Western Railway 'Crewe All Electric' power frame. There was a Euston No.4 which was renamed Euston Carriage Sidings when the new Euston box opened. Euston box and Euston Carriage Sidings box were closed on 26/09/1965 when Euston power signal box was opened.
Mechanical Signalbox displaced   Power signalbox It can be seen that there is a decrease in lever numbers by around 25%, which amounted to a  saving in manpower, operational and hardware costs.
Euston No.1 of 1892 not known  
Euston No.2 of 1891 288 levers 144 each side  
Euston no.3 of 1905 52 lever  

Total

340 levers ++ 227 Levers

 

 

 

 

 

 

The serial number of this frame was L98 and was ordered in April 1935

Copyright © Mark Adlington 2005-2013
Last modified: