Please note that this is not a Westinghouse lever frame signal box, it is included as it is of historical and geographic interest. This signal box is included because it is the orignal signal box, and it has been recreated on a model railway with an 'L' style frame called Ely Dock Junction.
Ely North Junction was opened in 1926 and was closed on 27 April 1992. It was a London & North Eastern Railway Type 11a design built by Messrs. Ekins & Company. It was opened fitted with a 65 lever McKenzie & Holland '1886 Patent' Number 12 frame which was originally constructed in 1890. The frame was extended to 76 levers (numbers A-B and 1-74) in 1931. The box was demolished on 02-06 May 1992
Above: Reproduced by kind permission of © David A Ingham taken from a passing train on 13 August 1987.
Ely North Junction basic signalling layout
Ely North Junction Down Distant in 1959. Note the earlier design finial on the main post and the later type on the two outer dolls. The two outer arms appear slightly shorter of that in the centre and were probably of the later 'standard' 4ft 6inch length; the longer central arm was probably 4ft 10in type. Photograph reproduced courtesy of © Chris Cock
On the main line to the south,
Ely Station North (1m 594yds away) was the adjacent box until it was closed on 10 April 1992 and Cambridge power signal box became the adjacent box until 27 April 1992 when Ely North Junction was closed.
On the main line to the north,
Littleport (4m 83yds away) was the adjacent box until Ely North Junction was closed.
On the March line,
Chettisham (1m 1554yds away) was adjacent box until Ely North Junction was closed.
On the Norwich line,
Padnal (1m 709yds away) was the adjacent box until 21 February 1990 when it was closed and Shippea Hill box (5m 902yds away) became the adjacent box until Ely North Junction was closed.
Copyright © Mark Adlington 2005-2013