Ealing Broadway signal box

Ealing Broadway was opened by the Metropolitan District Railway on 01 July 1879 fitted with a 43 lever mechanical frame. A 15 lever 'B' frame (frame number 141) was installed on 03 August 1920 to control the London Electric Railway's lines. The box was closed on 29 November 1952.

The new Ealing Broadway signal box was opened by London Transport in November 1952. It was built to the London Transport Type design and opened fitted with a 55 lever Westinghouse 'N' frame and push button panel.

The box was closed as a signal box in 1974 and converted to an interlocking machine room.

Ealing Broadway

Attached is a photograph taken on 5th November 1996.. Picture by kind permission of David Ingham.

The Westinghouse Style 'N' Power Frame is mechnically interlocked and is provided with electric backlocks for signalling and front and back locking for points. The frame was formed of 4 x 12 way section and 1 x 8 way section which making a total of 55 levers, {4x12}+{1x8)-1 = 55 levers, as the last “lever” space is unavailable.

Ealing Broadway signal cabin 1951

Ealing Broadway signal cabin, with original signal frame and switching equipment in use. Photographed by Walter A Curtin, Oct 1951 has both old and new signalling systems. The original signal frame and switching equipment are in use on the left. These interlocking floor signals are named and numbered as to the area on the track they control. In the background are the more modern miniature signals powered by electricity. Many types of interlocking frame signals were available. The interlocking mechanism prevented signals for conflicting routes from being switched, which could cause an accident. Many manufacturers followed the tappet system of interlocking invented by Steven and Sons. This high-quality tappet lever frame was probably made by Westinghouse, 

Diagrams

none availiable.

Adjacent boxes

details to follow.