Darlington South signal box

Darlington South signal box with its Westinghouse Brake & Signal Co. Ltd. Style 'L' Power Lever Frame was opened by the London & North Eastern Railway on 6th May 1939. It was built to the London & North Eastern Railway Type 12 design and was fitted with a 155 lever Westinghouse 'L' frame. The frame was replaced by a Westinghouse entrance-exit panel on 11th June 1972 and the box was re-named Darlington around the same time The box was closed on 10th May 1991 when Darlington came under the control of Tyneside IECC (Darlington workstation). After closure the box was used as an S&T school but it was out of use by 1999 and the box was demolished on 15-16th November 2003.

Darlington South signal box taken arond 1952, this contained a Westinghouse Brake and Signal Co. Ltd miniature power lever frame.

The signalbox is seen here with an apparent all round clear view of the surrounding tracks and the south end of Darlington station. This picture was taken around 1952

The frame is a Westinghouse Style 'L' Power Frame which is all electrically locked. The frame was formed of 12 x 12 way section and one eight way section which made a total of 151 levers, {12x12}+8}-1 = 151 levers, as the last “lever” space is unavailable.47 of these levers worked the points, 83 signal levers operated the coloured light signals, and there were 20 special levers and 5 spare levers when the frame was supplied and installed. This made the working lever total of 146.

Darlington South signal box internior taken in 1952, with its Westinghouse Brake and Signal Co. Ltd miniature power lever frame and track diagram

The impressive Westinghouse Brake & Saxby Signal Co. Ltd lever frame with its 155 levers is depicted above, behind the signalling levers one can see the glass roundels showed the signal aspect, being Red and Green only.The two hole indicators, show either Shunt signals 'on or 'off' with a Red Bar horizontal or at 45 degrees, or an 'N' and 'R' indication for points as either being Normal or Reverse. The huge single track diagram can also be seen

Adjacent boxes

On the East Coast Main line (northwards)

Darlington North, 0m 821yds away (0m 913yds though station), was the adjacent box. Darlington North box was closed on 05/06/1972 when Ferryhill (formerly No.2) box (12m 568yds away) became the adjacent box. This lasted until Darlington box closed.

On the East Coast Main line (southwards)

Eryholme, 4m 1672yds away, was the adjacent box. Eryholme box was closed on 31/01/1977 when Northallerton box (13m 706yds away) became the adjacent box. Northallerton box was closed on 15/04/1990 when York IECC became the adjacent box. This lasted until Darlington box closed.

On the Stockton & Darlington line

Geneva, 1030yds away, was the adjacent box. Geneva box was closed on 05/06/1972 and Oak Tree Junction box (4m 180yds) away became the adjacent box. Oak Tree Junction box was closed on 08/10/1972 and Urlay Nook box (7m 408yds away) became the adjacent box. This lasted until Darlington box closed.