Cardiff East signal box

Cardiff East signal box with its Westinghouse Brake & Saxby Signal Co. Ltd. Style 'L' Power Lever Frames was opened and commissioned on 28th May 1933 by the Great Western Railway and the signalbox was built to the Great Western Railway Type 18 design. It was fitted with a 155 lever Westinghouse 'L' frame

Cardiff East signalbox was the second part of a two part resignalling scheme of Cardiff station, comprising of an East and West Signalbox. Cardiff West signalbox was commissioned on the 7th January 1934.

Cardiff East and West signal boxes was the only purchase and involvement with Westinghouse Style 'L' Lever frames by the Great Western Railway. Both signalboxes remained in use until Cardiff Power box came into use on 27th March 1966 and replaced both boxes. Cardiff East and Cardiff West were only 627yds apart

signal box exterior here when available

{in the meantime see Cardiff West for a good example}

The frame was formed of 27 x 12 way section and one eight way section which made a total of 339 levers,  {27x12}+8}-1 = 339 levers, as the last “lever” space is unavailable . 57 of these levers worked the points, 229 signal levers operated the 2 aspect coloured light signals, there were no special levers installed and 53 spare levers when the frame was supplied and installed. This made the working lever total of 286.

Diagrams

To follow

Adjacent boxes

Cardiff West signalbox was only 627yds from Cardiff East

On the South Wales main line

Newtown West box , 687yards from Cardiff East and Cardiff West was 676yds from Canton Sidings box.

On the Valley line

Cardiff East worked to Cardiff Queen Street South 1342yds away