Bricklayers Arms Junction signal box

Bricklayers Arms Junction signal box with its Westinghouse Brake & Signal Co. Ltd. Style 'L' Power Lever Frames was opened by British Railways on 8th October 1950. It built to the Southern Railway Type 13 design and was fitted with a 55 lever Westinghouse 'L' Style Frame.

An "entrance-exit" panel was installed in addition to the frame to control the Peckham Rye area on 13th April 1969. The signalbox continued in use for 25 years until its operation was take over the London Bridge signalling centre NX Panel on the 20th July 1975

Southern Region Resignalling of the London to Brighton Line which occurred between 1950 to 1955 which aimed to abolish all the semaphore signalling from the south end of the London Bridge scheme and also from just outside of Victoria which met at Windmill Bridge Junction (latterly known as Gloucester Road Junction) north of Croydon, and continued to Coulsdon. The objective was to removing the Sykes Lock and Block working and replacing it with track circuiting and colour light signalling. The whole scheme cost £2 million pounds and involved 11 new signalboxes having a combined total of 841 levers, replacing 32 manual signalboxes with a total of 1,515 full sized levers.

Bricklayers Arms Junction

This northwards panoramic photograph taken on the 4th July 1975 shows 'Odeon' style signalbox as the 10.12 Hither green to Norwood Freight yard passes by. Picture copyright © J Scrace, reproduced by kind permission of Middleton Press, from their London Bridge to East Croydon book in the Southern Mainlines series published in 1988 ISBN 0906520584

Bricklayer Arms Junction signal box internior taken in 1950's, with its Westinghouse Brake and Signal Co. Ltd miniature power lever frame

Above is a 1951 Picture of the ten new signalbox interior the new SGE tryle train describers have just been installed and made operational, also notice the Walkers Rotary train describer and the SR three position block instrument at the far end of the lever frame. Emergency block bells are provided on the centre of the frame, with the actual block bells mounted above the train describer receivers each side of the diagram. From the Railway Gazette 30/3/1951.

The frame was supplied by Westinghouse Brake & Signal Co. The Style 'L' Power frame was formed of 4 x 12 way sections and 1 x 8 way section making a total of 55 levers, {4x12}+8}-1 = 55 levers, as the last “lever” space is unavailable. 15 of these levers worked the points, 31 signal levers, 2 special lever was provided with 7 spare levers. when the frame was supplied and installed.

SR Signalling Project Track diagram Bricklayer Arms Junction signal box internior taken in 1970's, with its Westinghouse Brake and Signal Co. Ltd miniature power lever frame

The Westinghouse Brake & Signal Co. Ltd lever frame, with its indicators behind the levers, the 4 glass roundels showed the signal aspect, being Red, Yellow, Green & 2nd Yellow reading from bottom to top. The train describers sending boxes are fitted on top of the frame box whilst the receiving train describer units are housed between the signalling diagrams. The top indicator behind the signal lever is the "F" light and this became lit when the lever was normal, all points in the route correctly detected and all relevant track circuits clear. You could pull the lever at any time provided that the locking was correct but the signal would not clear unless the "F" light was lit before the lever was pulled.

Briacklayers Arms Junction

Picture taken between 1969 & 1975. by kind permission of Graham Floyd, © Graham Floyd

Bricklayers Arms Junction

Picture taken between 1969 & 1975. by kind permission of Graham Floyd, © Graham Floyd

Bricklayers arms Junction

Southbound train describer. Picture taken between 1969 & 1975. by kind permission of Graham Floyd, © Graham Floyd

Bricklayers Arms Junction

NX Panel pictured with route set denoted by the white lights for Peckham Rye station and its junction. The panel in Bricklayers Arms actually replaced Peckham A box. Picture is taken between 1969 & 1975. The train describer is on the left to London Bridge. Picture above by kind permission of Graham Floyd, © Graham Floyd

Briacklayers Arms Junction

Taken between 1969 & 1975. The train describer to London Bridge. along with the Walkers Rotary train describer from North Kent West signalbox. Picture above by kind permission of Graham Floyd, © Graham Floyd

Bricklayers Arms Junction

Detailed view of the Walkers Rotary train describer from North Kent West signalbox. This describer is a receiver as the train describer has no sending handles. Taken between 1969 & 1975, picture by kind permission of Graham Floyd, © Graham Floyd

Bricklayers Arms Junction

A 1955 view of the Pre-cast concrete cantilever structure used in the re-signalling at Bricklayers Arms Junction. The new signalbox is just visible in the distance.

Diagrams

Attached is Southern Region signal instruction 1 notice this and signal instruction 1 track diagram this can be downloaded in PDF format, this covers the opening of Bricklayer Arms Junction to Norwood Junction North signal boxes and their coloured light signalling installation. These diagram(s) are taken from the website of the Signalling Record Society Research Note37. These images are copyright of the Signalling Record Society, and reproduced by permission.

Adjacent boxes

When opened the box worked to-

London Bridge to Brighton line

To the north London Bridge 1m 1675yds away was the adjacent box.
To the south on the main lines New Cross Gate (948yds away) was the adjacent box, and on the Carriage lines East London Up Junction was the adjacent box. East London Up Junction box was closed on 10th September 1972 when the points were converted to hand operation, subsequently the junction was abolished.

London Bridge to Mitcham Junction line

Old Kent Road Junction (2m 296yds from London Bridge box) was the adjacent box. Old Kent Road Junction box was closed on 13/04/1969 when it was replaced by a panel installed in Bricklayers Arms Junction

North Kent West Junction line

North Kent West Junction, 860yds away, was the adjacent box.

After Old Kent Road Junction closed, the adjacent boxes at the far end of the panel were Streatham Jc (Tulse Hill panel) and Battersea Park Jc.The box replaced Bricklayers' Arms Junction box, a 90 lever box opened on 08/08/1909 by the LBSCR.