Bedford North signal box

Bedford North signal box with its Westinghouse Brake & Signal Co. Ltd. Style 'L' Power Lever Frame replaced the circa 1894 - 50 lever mechanical frame. The new box was opened on 25th November 1978 by British Railways and was built to the London Midland Region Type 15 design. The box structure was probably second hand and was fitted with an 83 lever Westinghouse 'L' frame which was a refurbished section of the 167 lever frame from Cannon Street signal box, which was in turn part of a 227 lever 'L' frame (frame number 97) purchased by London, Midland & Scottish Railway in case of war damage.

Bedford North was closed on 2nd November 1980 when signalling of the area passed to West Hampstead PSB but the box and frame were moved to Northampton No.3 for further use.

Bedford North

The frame is a Westinghouse Style 'L' Power Frame which is all electrically locked. The frame was formed of 6 x 12 way section, {6x12}-1 = 83 levers, as the last “lever” space is unavailable.

frame picture here when available

Diagrams

none currently availiable

Adjacent boxes

To the South,

Kempston Road Junction signal box (62 chains away)

To the North,

Sharnbrook Station Junction signal box (6m 47ch away) were the adjacent signal box from the boxes opening date until closure.

Adjacent box on the Bletchley Line

Bedford Junction (16 chains away) was the adjacent signal box from the boxes opening date until closure.