Aldgate signal box

Aldgate signal box on the circle line was opened by London Transport in 19th May 1946. It was built to the London Transport Type design and was fitted with a 59 lever Westinghouse Brake & Signal Co. Ltd. Style 'N' power frame (number 183).

The frame was second hand as it had been constructed in 1938 but was loaned to the Great Western Railway and used as a temporary frame in Paddington Arrival signal box installed in 1938 and removed in 1939. Aldgate signal box was closed in 24th January 1988 when control passed to a temporary panel in Farringdon signal box.

Aldgate

This end of the frame worked Aldgate Junction. Tower Hill, visible bottom left of diagram, shows old siting with only 2 platforms.

Aldgate

This end of the frame worked Minories and Aldgate East Junctions. Signalman Bill Warner in view. This black and white picture is reproduced by kind permission of the © Henry Davidson.

Aldgate

Later period color photo of the lever frame and track diagram, picture is reproduced by kind permission of © Henry Davidson. The frame is a Westinghouse Style 'N' Power Frame and was mechanically interlocked between levers with electrical lever locking, The frame was formed of 10 x 12 way section which making a total of 119 levers, {10x12}-1 = 119 levers, as the last “lever” space is unavailable. 27 levers levers worked the point, and 67 levers worked the signals with 19 other levers being provided.

Aldgate

Close up of the track diagram, you can double click the picture to get an even bigger picture is a separate window. picture is reproduced by kind permission of the © Henry Davidson.

Diagrams

none available.

Adjacent boxes

details to follow.