Acton Town signal box

Acton Town was opened by the Metropolitan District Railway and was named Mill Hill Park on 11 June 1905, it was fitted with a style 'B' 47 lever frame (frame number 29). The box was re-named Acton Town (unconfirmed on 01 March 1910), and was closed on 23 January 1932. The new Acton Town signal box was opened by the Underground Electric Railways on the 24th January 1932. It was built to the Underground Electric Railways type design and was fitted with a 119 lever Westinghouse Brake & Signal Co. Ltd. Style 'N' power frame (number 171). The box was closed on the 11th June 1965, when control passed to the new regulating room at Earls Court.

Acton Town

The external picture taken on 5rd November 1996 several years after closure. Picture by kind permission of David InghamActon Town

The lever frame at Acton Town probably taken in 1934 when the signal box was commissioned some time after the pening on the 24th January 1932.

Acton Town signal cabin. Detail showing control panel. Photographed by Topical Press, 1934

Acton Town signal cabin. Detail showing control panel and diagram. Photographed by Topical Press, 1934

The frame is a Westinghouse Style 'N' Power Frame and was mechanically interlocked between levers with electrical lever locking, The frame was formed of 10 x 12 way section which making a total of 119 levers, {10x12}-1 = 119 levers, as the last “lever” space is unavailable. 27 levers levers worked the point, and 67 levers worked the signals with 19 other levers being provided.<

Diagrams


none availiable.

Adjacent boxes


details to follow.